Two months ago my monitor began tripping the house safety switch. It smelled like burnt skin and I was not surprised when I opened it to find a Gecko dead touching the 240 volt rails on the power supply board.
When I started smelling the distinctive smell of a dead and rotting gecko from my monitor today I knew another one had died in there. I know the specific smell of a dead gecko because they often die in sliding doors, air conditioners, ceiling fan control boxes or other electronics around here.
This time he died on the high voltage power supply that lights the backlight.
Opening my monitor, a BENQ FP-222W, was difficult the first time so I took photos this time to show the way I got a credit card in to unhook the catches.
There is also a photo of the zapped gecko 🙂